Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Corner View : Autumn



Well hello from the lovely East Coast! Autumn here is certainly scenic. Although it's prettier as you climb the Eastern seaboard from here (we drove to Connecticut last year mid-October), DC still has some nice colors. And oh the flavors that come out around now-- peppermint (albeit more associated with winter, at least for me) and pumpkin are some of the best things to ever hit your taste buds.

My friend Andy recently came down for a visit. We had a good time during the few hours he was out of the Big Apple. We alert one another each year when Starbucks' Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins make their appearance, and he decided that his *one* for this year he'd have with me. I wish I were as disciplined... We went to three different places to get it, because it's not worth it if it isn't warmed. Here's us being silly on the walk to get the treat. And here's a recipe for pumpkin bread I like to make :)





A friend of mine got some tickets to the White House Garden Tour several weeks ago, so I popped into that for a bit. All due respect intended, it wasn't that great. A cucumber plant in Mrs Obama's garden looks just like one anywhere else, with the exception of the swarms of people photographing it. The flora were nice, but nothing that really blew me away. The lawn looked nice, no doubt, and the putting green was pretty cool. (I recently played golf for my first few times and was surprised at how much I enjoyed the heck out of it!)

Rufus also enjoys this time of year as it's just about the last he'll see of squirrels until after winter. These furry-tailed critters are quite possibly the most exciting piece of his day, with the exception of when my husband or I come home, and he goes absolutely nuts over them-- hops on his two hind feet, restrained only by an owner with a leash, when he sees one on the loose. It's pretty absurd and entertaining. In this photo, he'd gotten up early to peek through the blinds and see if he could find any. You can see the yellow leaves in the crack behind him.

For more autumns around the globe, check out:

5 comments:

  1. It looks great autumn in Washingtom DC!
    No autumn at the white house?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cracks me up. Glad you had such a nice visit with your friend. happy fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo pumpkin spice latte's were my autumn fav when I lived in the US. Bet the muffins are wonderful too. I like the funny tales of the White House garden tour and so pleased to hear the cucumber plant is the same as anyone elses!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still it's cool that you got to see the White House...
    I LOVE DC!! Went to grad school there years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha ha. what were you expecting? specially fabulous presidential plants? ;)
    DC looks like a good place to enjoy autumn indeed.

    ReplyDelete