Washington, D.C. doesn't have a "typical" souvenir the way the Big Apple has snow globes and I (heart) NY shirts. It does, however, have free museums (so you come away with knowledge and memories) and many monuments and memorials (Jefferson, Lincoln, Washington, and more, so you come away with photos), plenty of schools (American, Catholic, George Mason, Georgetown, George Washington, Howard, UDC, and more, so you come away with t-shirts), loads of history (Arlington cemetery, White House, Watergate building, Pentagon, et cetera ad nauseum), adorable neighborhoods, and, well, you get the point. This is a place that it's easy to couple a work trip with some touristy exploration; you can be here for the Drag Race, Cherry Blossom festival, marches on the Capitol/capital, Nationals or DC United games, Marathons, and just about anything you'd like. So what are ya waiting for? Come on out, explore it for yourself, and pick up some goodies to bring home!
To see what souvenirs are typical of cities around the globe, check out:
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's fun to imagine a souvenir of places you describe. I will imagine a snow globe, but instead of snow, cherry blossoms that fall gently onto the white buildings lining the capital when you turn it upside down. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI love free museums !!!
ReplyDeleteYou're right - Washington, DC, has SO many things to offer. When we visited, we came away with lots of souvenirs. What an exciting place to live!
ReplyDeletegranny brought lala a "future president" t-shirt from DC. :)
ReplyDeleteseriously, though, the monuments were what i would have picked, not snow globes, anyway!
nicola
http://whichname.blogspot.com
I'm sure all I would need is a camera and my traveling squad! Free is the best!
ReplyDeleteHappy Day!
Matt and I got the best souvenir of all from DC- a George Bush thermometer magnet. It's got his big cheesy grin on it and it's actually functional. I'll have to shoot a photo of it. It' my favorite magnet- just hilarious!
ReplyDeleteC'est parti !!! I come to visit... and see the cherry trees and run a marathon ;) Have a nice day !
ReplyDeletewill do! (... one day)
ReplyDeleteI was just there in July! We stopped in for an afternoon on our way back from Boston. I have been there now 4 times and I never get tired. Next time I go though I want to stop at the detective musuem. I don't think that one is free.
ReplyDeletewow there's lots to do...and you're not too far away from me...hehe
ReplyDeleteNo time to get bored in Washington! ;) I would love to visit the Cherry Blossom festival.
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend!
I loved the museums and all the other wonderful stuff to do. I did come away with great memories and a lot of history.
ReplyDelete